- August 9, 2013
When it comes to maintaining oral health, prevention is key – after all, isn’t it easier to combat small problems than big ones? That’s why Dr. DiGiallorenzo focuses first and foremost on patient education when it comes to the smiles he treats at his Collegeville and Williamsport offices. You’ve seen this attention to detail in the first two blog posts we’ve shared about the threat of periodontal disease; now, we offer some helpful tips on how patients in the Philadelphia area and beyond can protect themselves from this potentially dangerous condition.
- The use of tobacco and alcohol can dramatically increase the risk of periodontal disease. If you regularly use these products, this may be the time consider quitting; otherwise, talk to Dr. DiGiallorenzo about scheduling more frequent check-ups so that you can keep the presence of periodontal disease in check.
- Teeth grinding can damage your teeth, as well as worsen the conditions caused by periodontal disease. Reducing stress or investing in an oral appliance from our practice could help ease your symptoms.
- Genetics are also known to contribute to your risk, so if periodontal disease is a common staple amongst your family members, regular dental check-ups may be in order. In addition, be sure that your spouse attends check-ups as well – dangerous bacteria can be spread easily.
- A strong immune system can help your body fight periodontal disease! Be sure to exercise at last half an hour a day, three times a week. Nutrition plays a big role as well!
- If you’re diabetic, be sure to attend regular check-ups with Dr. DiGiallorenzo as well. Diabetes often contributes to the presence of periodontal disease.
Contact our Williamsport or Collegeville dental practices today to schedule an appointment with Dr. David DiGiallorenzo. Our team is always happy to provide the Philadelphia area and beyond with warm, holistic dental care that’s sure to leave a smile on your face.