- October 14, 2013
There’s no bigger threat to your oral health than periodontal disease; this pesky ailment affects a majority of the population, and while relatively harmless in its earliest stages, it can quickly progress to more advanced and dangerous stages if left untreated. This is why it’s so crucial to catch the disease early on and treat it effectively. Dr. DiGiallorenzo and his team take this threat very seriously; that’s why they want their patients from the Philadelphia area and beyond to have all the information they need to stay safe against the threat of periodontal disease. While regular check-ups at our Collegeville and Williamsport offices are the best line of defense against unnoticed decay and damage, here are some additional tips that you can keep in mind whenever you’re not in our office:
- Tobacco use significantly heightens one’s risk of experiencing periodontal disease. If you regularly use this type of product, it may be time to think about quitting. If you’d prefer to keep using it, be sure to schedule more frequent check-up with Dr. DiGiallorenzo so that he can keep an eye on your oral health.
- Did you know that periodontal disease can be spread by contact with other people? If your spouse suffers from periodontal disease, you should be sure to get yourself checked yourself out as soon as possible.
- Genetics are also a big risk factor. Be sure to talk to your immediate family about their dental histories; if periodontal disease is prevalent, a check-up may be in order.
- A strong immune system can help your body fight the threat of periodontal disease, and exercising at least thirty minutes three times a week is a great way to strengthen it.
- Teeth grinding can hurt your teeth and also exacerbate the effects of periodontal disease. A stress management problem can often help!
Contact our Collegeville or Williamsport office today to schedule an appointment! Dr. DiGiallorenzo and his team can’t wait to give patients from the Philadelphia area and beyond a reason to smile