Philadelphia, PA Dental Implants Specialist Offers Tips on Alleviating Bad Breath
WILLIAMSPORT AND PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA – Philadelphia, PA dental implants specialist Dr. David DiGiallorenzo recently released a list of tips for combatting bad breath.
The primary cause of bad breath is dry mouth resulting from medical conditions or medications, and gum disease is a close second, said the Philadelphia, PA periodontics specialist.
Bacteria that builds up in the mouth emits an odor, and the more bacteria that is present in the mouth, the stronger the odor can be, DiGiallorenzo said.
Following are steps people who battle chronic bad breath can take to help relieve the problem:
- Get untreated cavities filled.
- Make an appointment with your periodontist for a periodontal screening. Diagnosing gum disease is important because it is a silent killer.
- If you smoke, quit. The tar, nicotine and other substances in tobacco smoke can build up on your gums, cheeks, teeth and tongue.
- Chew parsley after meals. It contains chlorophyl, which is a natural breath freshener.
- Chew sugarless gums that contain xylitol. It increases saliva production, which helps eliminate odor.
- Have teeth professionally cleaned on a regular basis. For most, this means twice per year, said DiGiallorenzo, a Philadelphia, PA periodontist. For those who have periodontal disease, it could mean having professional cleanings done quarterly.
- Use an oral irrigator (Waterpik) with an ounce of hydrogen peroxide mixed in the water to remove particles of food that get lodged between teeth.
- When brushing after meals, remember to brush the gums and the tongue, as bacteria also can accumulate in these areas.
- Brush well after eating sugary foods. Bacteria feed off the fuel provided by these foods.
- Drink lots of water. It reduces the level of bacteria in the mouth.
If you would like to learn more about Philadelphia periodontics or you need additional information about how to battle bad breath or you want to rule out periodontal disease as the cause of your bad breath, call today for a consultation with one of the Philadelphia, PA periodontists in Dr. David DiGiallorenzo’s practice: [phone_number1] in Collegeville; [phone_number2] in Williamsport; or visit his Web site: http://www.perioimplants.us/.
About Dr. David Digiallorenzo
Dr. David Digiallorenzo, or “Dr. D,” graduated from Temple University School of Dentistry in 1993 and completed a specialty in periodontics and dental implantology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1995.
He is a past associate clinical professor at the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Periodontics. He teaches nationally and internationally and is a regular contributor to dental literature.
Dr. D’s private practice in suburban Philadelphia concentrates on laser,Esthetic and Reconstructive Periodontics, Dental Implantology, advanced reconstructive case management and TMJ treatment. It is a unique dental spa with two full-time massage therapists that specialize in reflexology, reiki, massage, aromatherapy and homeopathy. This combination creates a relaxed, optimal healing response.
Dr. D has two office locations: 184 W. Main St., Ste. 200, in Collegeville, PA; and 121 E. Fourth St. in Williamsport, PA.
© 2010 Sinai Marketing and Dr. David Digiallorenzo.