- November 17, 2017
If you’re experiencing skin dryness and cracking at the corners of your mouth, it might be easy to chalk it up to chilly, windy weather this time of year. But for those who experience these unsightly, uncomfortable conditions year-round, angular cheilitis could be the culprit.
Angular cheilitis is a condition that causes swollen, red patches to form at the corners of the mouth that can bleed, itch and become painful.
Common causes include:
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Fungal infections
- Lip folding
- Poor hygiene
- Ill-fitting dentures
- Malocclusion (bad bite)
We are strong believers in the benefits of holistic care and natural, home-based remedies to treat angular cheilitis. If you suffer occasionally from this condition, you might consider these remedies:
- Aloe vera gel- alleviates pain when rubbed on the irritated corners of the mouth. Apply and leave it on for at least 15 minutes before gently wiping it off.
- Honey- fights micro-organisms that cause infection. Apply for 15 minutes before removal.
- Water- keep yourself properly hydrated to help prevent dryness and chapped lips
- Iron and B complex vitamins- it is believed that 25 percent of those who have angular cheilitis are deficient in these vitamins.
- Lemongrass oil vapor- mix a few drops in a cup of water, heat on the stove in a pot and keep below boiling point, and lean over it for a few minutes to bring the vapor in contact with your lips. This kills off the yeast infection that causes angular cheilitis.
- Virgin coconut oil- in addition to its ability to moisten and soothe, it is an antidote to some candida strains that cause angular cheilitis.
- Baking soda- its antibacterial properties relieve symptoms.
- Lip balms and moisturizers- opt for unscented, unflavored versions such as petroleum jelly or virgin coconut oil to heal the infection.
- Cucumber- apply a slice to the affected area and rub delicately to alleviate soreness.
- Cocoa butter- apply to the affected area two to three times per day.
For those who battle this problem routinely, we recommend scheduling an appointment to be evaluated to determine whether you would benefit from dental remedies. We can help address ill-fitting dentures, poor oral hygiene, and we even can assist you in quitting smoking. Our Wellness Center offers smoking cessation options including acupuncture and reflexology.
Call today to schedule an appointment.