- March 22, 2013
Nearly 75% of Americans today suffer from some level of gum disease. What’s worse, a large portion of those people aren’t aware that they have the condition at all! While the early stages of gum disease (also commonly referred to as periodontal disease) may only cause mild injury and discomfort, such as bleeding, it can lead to a host of serious problems if left untreated, including tooth loss. Here in Collegeville and Williamsport, Dr. DiGiallorenzo takes the ever-present threat of gum disease very seriously, which is why he offers periodontal therapy at his Philadelphia-area offices. However, you might be wondering how you can successfully ward off the condition yourself if you have yet to experience it. Here are some helpful tips from our team on how to keep a watchful eye out:
- Tobacco use greatly increases your risk of gum disease. Consider cutting back or quitting altogether!
- If you constantly grind your teeth due to stress, it could make oral health problems that lead to gum disease worse. Enroll in a stress management program to help relieve your symptoms.
- Genetics can contribute to your risk of getting gum disease! Check with your family members to see if they have the condition. If they do, be sure to attend regular check-ups with Dr. DiGiallorenzo so that he and his staff can keep a close eye on your mouth.
- You can easily spread gum disease to your spouse, so be sure to get checked out if either they or you are already are suffering from gum disease.
- A strong immune system helps the body fight against damage caused by gum disease! Be sure to exercise for at least thirty minutes a day, three times a week.
For more tips, take a look here! Dr. DiGiallorenzo and his team in Collegeville and Williamsport want to make sure that you have all the information you need to keep your teeth in tip-top shape. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and start benefitting from our comprehensive dental care! We happily see patients from the Philadelphia area and beyond.